Jong-i jeobgi is a fun activity

By Korea.net Honorary Reporter Siti Martina
Photos = Siti Martina

In this article I want to share my experience with jong-i jeobgi activities. Do you know what jong-i jeobgi is? This is a paper-folding art from Korea. Maybe if I mentioned origami you would know what I meant. Jong-i jeobgi is a paper-folding art just like origami, but this is from Korea. Many people know about paper-folding, but perhaps not many people know about this Korean folding art. It's not much different from paper-folding, except that jong-i jeobgi, "Korean paper folding," is related to Korea, of course.

Some people may consider paper-folding activities to be a kindergarten lesson. However, this activity is extremely useful, not only for children but for adults, too. The art of paper folding is not as famous as video games, but folding paper is a universal art that reaches the whole world. It has been here for hundreds of years and this activity is of high artistic value.


From various references on paper folding, there are at least three practical benefits to learning the art of paper folding, including sharpening the imagination and creativity, which can be healing therapy. Paper folding can now be utilized as a creative industry business, too.

The philosophy of paper folding is to teach patience, including teaching how to be responsible.

The benefits of paper folding for children are that it helps the development of the imagination and hones creativity. For teenagers, folding arts can also have the function of decoration. While the benefits for adults, other than it being done as a hobby, help as an addiction therapy against video games and can heal mild depression. Not only that, there are benefits of paper-folding art for parents as a medium of communication and creative play with their children. Other benefits include improving one's thinking ability, finding solutions, thinking mathematically, practicing one's memory, and improving your ability to concentrate by focusing and exercising diligence and thoroughness.

Some of the jong-i jeobgi I've learnt are Hanbok, bokjumeoni, buchae, and ddakji. These items are Korean items.

- Hanbok clothes are traditional Korean clothes that are currently used in formal events, such as weddings, anniversaries, ceremonies or festivals.


- A bokjumeoni is a complementary set of accessories for one's Hanbok clothes. As a traditional Korean dress, Hanbok dresses have no pockets or pouches to carry things. Therefore, make a separate bokjumeoni, or pouch. This pocket is commonly called a "fortune bag" because it can provide luck for the holder.

- A buchae is a Korean fan. This traditional fan is a complementary accessory, in addition to your Hanbok. Also, the folding fan can be used when the weather is hot.


- Ddakji is a traditional Korean game that uses paper folded into cards or slabs. The game can be played by two or more people and each person has their own ddakji.

Jong-i jeobgi can directly introduce things related to Korea, so for people who have never seen anything Korean, they can learn directly through jong-i jeobgi.

The thing I feel when doing this craft is a feeling of pleasure. I really enjoy this activity, even though the first time I tried it, it didn't take long for me to make a Hanbok.

This fun activity is useful to drive away my boredom in my spare time, as well as relieve stress I experience due to various problems.

As I work on it, I can focus on the work I create. This really helps me to reduce my social media addiction. Previously, during my free time or on holidays, I would only play on social media and play video games on my mobile phone, but neither of those can expel tension or stress. Lately the art of paper-folding is used as a therapeutic medium for relaxation.


While doing paper folding activities, I feel comfortable and relaxed. I can feel at ease, even for the first time. It helps me decide to try various new forms that exist on videos that I download. With the benefits of this paper-folding art, I realize that small things can have a significant impact. I'm more acquainted with the complementary accessories of Hanbok now, too. 

Apparently jong-i jeobgi is not an activity that is only intended for children, but various age groups, including for adults, do it, too. It is truly an effective activity for relaxation.

Paper-folding is a work of art that is mathematical in nature. The fold is not arbitrary. It's also useful to inspire interior or structural decorations. Inspiration lies not in the fold but how to apply the material in a beautiful and interesting form.

In other words, the art of paper folding is useful in everyday life.

Benefits that may be new in terms of taste are effective relaxation mediums to reduce feelings of depression or stress.

I cannot deny that the art of paper folding has a variety of benefits that can make a person become better. It's a hobby that brings benefits.

Maybe someone else would like to try this fun activity.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel